From August 28th through September 1st I spent some time in Las Vegas attending at VMworld 2016 conference.
This was my first trip to VMworld and was quite an experience.
One of my favorite things I saw on the trade floor was BigDaddy+ – this absolutely blew me away.
An 8 node Supermicro* SuperServer 2028U-TN24R4T all-flash NVME vSAN cluster.
- Dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2687Wv4 (12 Core @ 3.0 Ghz)
- 256 GB DDR4 RAM
- Boot Drive – 1x Intel® SSD DC S3710 Series (200 GB, 2.5”)
- Virtual SAN SSDs – 4 Disk Groups comprised of
- 4x Intel® SSD DC P3700 Series (800 GB, 2.5” SFF)
- 20x Intel® SSD DC P3520 Series (2 TB, 2.5” SFF)
- Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X540-DA2
Got to spend a bit of time in the Hands On Lab doing some courses on vRealize Automation and a bit of time in an invite-only session for SDDC manager.
And the ultimate highlight of the trip, was getting to do a few hot laps (as a passenger) in a Ferrari F430 Challenge car.
Whilst most of the VMworld attendees got to go around the outside track in standard cars, a few select people were given the experience of a lifetime going around a smaller inside track inside the challenge car. Amazing experience and one that will last in my memory for a while (or at least until next VMworld!)